Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Debt Settlement | Letter Countering a Creditor’s Offer


 One of the most important rules to follow when it comes to debt settlement is to always communicate with the original creditor or debt collector through letters. It should be sent through registered mail with return receipt requested so that you have a paper trail of your transactions. If you are not sure how to go about writing a debt settlement letter, here are some samples to help you get started. Remember that you have to craft the letter to fit your unique situation so don’t just copy and paste. Make sure that you review it before sending so your letter becomes more effective.  

Letter Countering a Creditor’s Offer

Date

Your Name
Your Address (Street Number, Street Name)
City, State, and Zip Code
Your Phone number

(Name of Creditor)
(Creditor Office Street Number and Address)
(City, State, and Zip Code)

RE:  Account #_________________

Dear Sir/Madam (if you know the name of the person in charge, the better),

Thank you very much for your willingness to work out a debt settlement agreement with me. However, I am short of funds at present. (Give a short explanation why have you defaulted on your payments. Be honest but professional about it. Stick with the facts). This is/These are the reason/reasons why I cannot afford the amount you have suggested.

However, I would still like to settle my debts with your company so I would like to propose a counter offer:

I would like to offer an amount of $_________ to settle the outstanding debt balance of $_________ for the account mentioned above.

I would also like to request the following conditions as a part of my settlement offer:

1.       My account will show “Paid in Full” with no future money owed associated with the account number mentioned in this letter.
2.       Any lawsuit filed against me will be dismissed and no future litigation related to this particular account will be filed against me.
3.       All the negative listings related to the account mentioned above will be removed from the credit bureaus.

Inasmuch as I have several debt accounts with other creditors, I will only be able to pay those creditors who are willing to accept a settlement amount that I can afford. I have enclosed a copy of my financial statements for your consideration.

If my settlement offer is acceptable to you, then please sign the debt settlement agreement enclosed with this letter and return a copy of the agreement to me.

As soon as I receive the signed agreement from you, I will send you the money order in the amount I have proposed.

Sincerely,

Signature over Printed Name
  
Find more articles on debt settlement  by just clicking on this link: http://consolidatedebtguide.org

Here are more interesting articles:
·         Understanding Debt Settlement

No comments:

Post a Comment